Admittedly, although online sports betting is now a part of everyday leisure activities for everyone, it is still a practice that needs to be explained and, above all, clarified in terms of the various steps to follow before becoming a regular fan.
In short: There is still work to be done on the didactic side of sports betting. There is a need for a step-by-step guide on how to register with a bookmaker, how to deposit money, how much to deposit for the first time. How much you should deposit for the first time and, most importantly, how not to squander it right from the start, how to play responsibly and how to have fun betting.
Well, that’s what we’re here for! We are going to guide you in an entertaining, quick and simple way, so that learning to bet does not become something that, because it is complicated and tedious (and let’s not even think of saying unsafe!) makes you give up before you start. Not at all.
You will see that it is very easy, and that with four or five basic concepts well learnt, you will be able to enjoy this wonderful world as much as anyone else. Shall we get started?
Learning to gamble online: first steps
The first thing you need to be clear about when learning to bet is the bookmaker. You have to choose one and, of course, in this case. Well done! You are in front of the leading online bookmaker in the Spanish market, with a powerful and varied offer of sports, casino and poker, with multiple bonuses and weekly promotions and, above all, with the best Welcome Bonus in the market and a constant effort to keep the customer always satisfied. But these are things we will talk about in other posts. Let’s not get sidetracked.
OK, so… You are in front of your Smartphone or in front of your computer, with the website or App open. Where do you start? Here are the first 3 steps you need to know before getting started:
- Introduce the Welcome Bonus.
As you will see, these are three initial steps that, rather than being typical of a bookmaker (perhaps more so the second or third), are inherent to almost any action that involves opening an account or online user profile on a social or shopping platform via the Internet. Let’s go through them one by one.
The registration process is simple. It is enough to enter, logically, our personal data, in addition to recording both our username (which we will use to enter and exit our user profile) and a password:
- Name, Surname.
- Date of birth.
- Telephone number.
If you want to know more about how to bet and about the registration and deposit process, as well as how pays out your winnings from your bets, you can consult our tutorial on the subject here.
Once you have entered your personal details and completed the registration process, it’s time to make your first deposit. In other words: deposit real money into our account so that we can get down to the nitty-gritty: learning how to bet. Or play casino and/or poker. To do this, we must click on the green ‘Deposit’ button at the top right of the screen, choose a payment method to perform the operation, select how much money we want to deposit and… That’s it! You will have enough money to start trading.
Introduce the Welcome Bonus
When you make a deposit, you can enter any promotional code or bonus code you have. If we are new users (customers registered for the first time) we can enter the Welcome Bonus code.
To enter a bonus, just go to the ‘Betting Bonus’ section of your user profile and type in the corresponding promotional code, so that the system validates it and enters it into your account.
It is very important to be familiar with the terms and conditions of the bonuses we use, and the rules regarding their use. For example, it is very important that you know the rules on which the Welcome Bonus is based when it comes to withdrawing winnings from the bets you place, as this is the only way to play with all the possible information and not be misled after some time after you have started playing.
Having a system, the key to learn how to bet
Perfect! We’ve got our brand new account, we’ve made our first deposit and we’ve taken advantage of our Welcome Bonus. Now it’s time for the best and, without a doubt, the most fun part: to start betting!
But if you’ve never done it in your life… How do you choose which sport to bet on? And which betting markets are the best? How much money to bet on each of your bets? Is it worth starting by making combined bets? There are a lot of questions that are going through your head right now… and that you probably already had before you even opened your user account. In short… How do I really learn to bet?
Don’t worry. First of all, take a deep breath and think: it’s easier than it looks.
As with everything in life, it’s not a good idea to start with the roof on the house. Don’t pretend to be an expert with five minutes of practice, and don’t even think you are one just because you’ve read this tutorial. Our first piece of advice is that learning to bet requires patience. As for almost everything in this life, but if anything here it takes a little more until you become familiar, above all, with two concepts: the amount of money you play on each bet (Stake) and the value you give to that bet (Value).
Basic tips to learn how to bet
But it is better to explain these concepts in a basic list:
- Always deposit and play an amount of money that you do NOT need for your daily life (bills, maintenance, health…). The key: think that every $ spent on sports betting, from the outset, is always money lost. Everything that comes afterwards in the form of winnings will be welcome.
- Start small: Try not to get carried away by greed. Make sure you know what you’re doing by trying it out first. A good limit for each bet? $10 is a more than reasonable amount.
- Start by betting ONLY on what you control: if it’s football, football; if you’re more into tennis, tennis… but bet on something you know well. Feel that you can try to guess what might happen and what might not happen within an event or match, and you will be more confident in the bets you place.
- Take your time studying betting markets: the most popular sport is football, but there are dozens of possibilities. And every sport has its own betting markets. There is no set rule here. It’s all about finding those bets that, for whatever reason, you are best at, or that you enjoy the most. Goal markets, corners, cards, sets…
- Don’t let yourself get carried away by defeat… Or by success: winning three bets in a row doesn’t make you a Guru, and losing five in a row doesn’t make you a failure. The key is to have a SYSTEM for betting. A set of rules in your head that you can use to enjoy whatever happens. Sports betting has to be taken with perspective, and in the long term.
- Paper and pen, the best allies: Try to write down everything you do; the events chosen, the markets, your stakes, your profits, your losses… reviewing all this afterwards will give you vital information when it comes to learning and retaining what you are doing well, and where you need to improve.
- Information is power: Don’t get tired of reading everything: the terms and conditions of the Promotions, the rules for betting on the different sports or this type of tutorials to learn how to bet. But also articles about statistics, previews and all kinds of information that will help you to bet with more data and security.
We could list many more tips for learning to bet, but we consider these seven to be the most important. And if you want more, just read our great tutorial on sports betting tips you wish you had known when placing your first bet. The key thing is that you get the general concept of the road ahead. Because learning to bet, and even more so, learning to bet online, is very different to learning to bet in a land-based casino or physical shop, and it pays to give it the necessary attention and time.
Learning to bet on football (or other sports)
OK, that’s it! We’ve almost completed this tutorial on how to bet. But now, you might be asking yourself: “And if I want to learn how to bet on football as a specific sport, or learn how to make football predictions, where do I go?
No problem. In this Sports Betting Blog you will find all the information you need to learn how to bet on the most popular sports, and you will always follow tips that will help you to play safely and without risk. As we have told you, betting on football, basketball, tennis or other sports has its particularities depending on the modality in question, but there are always tricks and answers for everything.
So, time, patience… And welcome to this wonderful world!